International Student Visas

If you come from a country outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) and wish to undertake undergraduate study in the UK, you will need to apply for a visa. You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa up to 3 months before the start of your programme of study, however we recommend that you start to familiarise yourself with the immigration requirements as soon as you decide to apply for university in the UK to ensure that you can be fully prepared for the visa application process.

We strongly recommend that you read the information regarding the application process on the UCL International Office website and the UK Visas and Immigration website before you begin your application.

Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS)

A CAS is a 14-digit reference that is given to you by UCL and confirms to the UK Visa and Immigration Service that you are a genuine student.

If you are made an offer to study at UCL Laws and it is expected that you will need to a visa to study in the UK, we will send you an email asking you to log into the UCL Portal to confirm the personal details we hold for you.

It is important that all the names that appear on your passport are included in our records (the order of the names does not need to match that on the passport, as long as they are all present). If your current passport is due to expire before the end of your studies, it is important to check with the relevant visa application services whether you need to renew your passport before confirming your details with UCL and making your visa application.

We are only able to provide a CAS once an applicant is in receipt of an unconditional offer that has been firmly accepted via UCAS, and only once we have been provided with proof of the necessary academic qualifications and English language proficiency.

Please note that we are only able to issue a CAS 90 days prior to enrolment on the degree programme. It is for this reason that we do not begin this process until late June.

UCL will assess your English language proficiency as part of the admissions process. However, as part of your visa application, you will also have to demonstrate evidence of sufficient funds to pass a maintenance test and of your educational qualifications, academic progression and English language proficiency by providing proof of your results, for example, your school-leaving certificates.

Please see the UCL English language requirement webpages for further information (please remember to look under Advanced for the level required for the LLB degree programmes).

Find more information about applying for a Tier 4 (General) student visa on the GOV.UK website